Friday, March 1, 2013

A Week in my Life

I don't normally write round-up posts, but it's been an eventful week, and I thought I'd share what I've learned this week.
"Book Addiction" by Emily Carlin CC By-ND 2.0

College

I received a 100% for the training and development's course project. I really struggled with the project because each 3-4 page section of the project required me to cite from at least 4 unique sources. I was focused more on meeting this requirement than I was on content, so this made writing each section a little more difficult. I also managed to complete the final exam for the class this week; four long-essay questions and 30 multiple choice questions sounds like an easy test, but the essay questions had two or three items that needed to be addressed.

I finally managed to complete my course project for the strategic business course that I was attending. I had to choose two companies; one of the companies had to exemplify a successful business strategy, and the other company had to demonstrate an unsuccessful business strategy. I then had to discuss why the strategies were successful and unsuccessful. Instead of choosing companies that had clear successes and failures, I decided to discuss Nintendo and Sony because I am a gamer, and I thought that choosing two companies in an industry that I already find interesting would help. Unfortunately, both have had their fair share of successes and failures, and it was difficult to discern which company's strategy had the highest overall success. I don't have the grade back for this course project, but I am experiencing some anxiety over it.

Blogging

You may have noticed that my blog looks a little different. I managed to decrease the blog description's size, increase the line spacing, increase the font size in the blog's body, and change the subheading font. I would not have been able to do it without my friend, Larry Deane's help. Larry Deane is a whiz when it comes to CSS, and shares his knowledge about blogging and monetizing blogs on his blog, Side Income Blogging. Luckily he and I are in the same G+ community, and I was able to get his help with these improvements.

Did I mention that he has the patience of a saint, and has the ability to explain tough concepts so that even I can understand them? He does, and I recommend you stop by his blog for some helpful tips.

Michael Belk from Ethical Behavior Boy and I are having an interesting conversation about how Carnival is being sued by some of its passengers who were on the Triumph during its unfortunate accident. You should come by and see what we're saying over there, and put in your two cents on the subject.

"Writing" by gregwake
 CC by 2.0
Lynnae McCoy over on Freelance Homeschool Mom shared some of the problems that she encounters while working from home. I can relate to feeling socially isolated because it is something that I encounter frequently as an online college student. While working in your pj's sounds like a great idea, it still takes a lot of time and effort to stay productive and sane. If you are contemplating working from home, or are working from home and can relate, stop by Lynnae's blog to discuss the benefits and pitfalls of working from home.

Last, but certainly not least, I've been keeping an eye on Brad Andres: God, Bible, & Life blog. This week he shared how he made the decision not to accept a paid position and opted to continue volunteering, shared how his social network helped him through a difficult time, and discussed the merits of G+ on Larry Deane's blog.

Coming Soon..

Next week I will be taking an accounting course in college. The last accounting course I took was managerial accounting, and it reduced me to tears on several occasions. While I managed to earn a "B" in the class, it bothered me because it was the first (and hopefully only) class in which I didn't receive an "A." Needless to say, I am happy that this is the last accounting class that I will need to take in order to meet my business core requirement.

I am also anxiously awaiting the arrival of a book from Victorio Milian, The Startup of You. I'm a big fan of reading, and I'm not one to turn down free books when they are being offered. Maybe it will get here soon so that I can read it while waiting for him to return from his "blogging break."

What Did You Learn This Week?

Did you read a new book, discover a new game, or learn CSS? Please feel free to share and discuss the past week's events with us!

6 comments :

  1. Congrats on a good grade Charity. You are obviously disciplined because that is a lot of work.

    I could not get all of that done in a short period of time.

    I appreciate you for including us in this post. You had an eventful week.

    I am glad you are able to hold things down. Thanks for the spirited conversations on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, thanks for the compliment. If I would have been more disciplined, I think I would have finished the strategic business course project done earlier in the week.

      As a business major, I have taken a couple of courses about ethics and the topic of ethics is discussed frequently. Ethics are rarely black/white, and I think that it's important that all sides of an issue are considered when considering whether or not a behavior or an action are considered ethical or unethical.

      Delete
  2. Hi Charity,

    I must say I am ever so proud of your accomplishments as you should be too We keep meeting in cyber space but have failed to still be able to connect.

    Your blog site is very nice, quite appealing. So glad I stopped by. Keep up the great work my friend!

    Warm Regards,

    Rhonda
    The Human Resource

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, Thank you! I am proud, but I think I'm also a little tired and want to graduate already! You're right, we need to stop meeting like this. If you aren't going to be busy on Monday afternoon, around 3 pm PST, I'll give you a call.

      I noticed that you started a new blog on Blogger recently, and I'm looking forward to reading it regularly. Thanks for stopping by, and for the kind words!

      Delete
  3. Charity, thanks for the kind words. Very glad I was able to help you out. The blog looks great! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are well-deserved, Larry. I'm glad you were able to help me out too, because I would've still been looking through forums, webpages, blogs, etc.. trying to figure out what to do.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.