Thursday, April 18, 2013

Shout Outs for 4/14 - 4/19


I've mentioned before that I don't normally write round-up articles. I don't have anything against them, it's just that I don't blog frequently enough to write round-ups. However, I've read some terrific articles and checked out a friend's website this week, and wanted to give these folks a special shout out.

First, Larry Deane from Side Income Blogging wrote two amazing articles this week:
  • In his first article for the week, Spend your blogging time where it matters, Larry offers his followers and fellow bloggers some advice on how to manage the time we can devote to blogging more effectively.
Both articles are absolutely, hands down, the best articles for new bloggers to read!

Second, Brad Andres' from Brad Andres: God, Bible, & Life, entices readers to learn a little bit about the Bible with the article, My Dog is a Turd Muncher. The article starts off with Brad sharing how he's observed his dog's own foul acts, and segues into a discussion about how we should work to overcome our own foul behavior and acts.

I also enjoyed how Brad freely admits to choosing a title and topic that would get people to visit his site. Way to go Brad!

Third, Jesse Wojdylo from Wojdylo Finance wrote two articles that caught my eye:  
  • You Can't Please Everyone on Google Plus so Don't Try talks about how some of the folks in your Google Plus circle are going to criticize you for posting about sports, entertainment, or family and personal photos. Bottom line: constructive criticism is always nice, but please don't try to tell someone how to engage with other people on a social level. 
  • His other article, No, You Absolutely Cannot Blog for a Living, gives new bloggers a reality check. Blogging for a living is tough to do, it takes a lot of time, loads of effort, and a ton of know-how which is hard to acquire. His bottom line: keep your day job.
I am currently looking forward to reading an article that he promised to write about Google's new feature: integrating Google Plus comments with comments in Blogger.

Fourth, Victorio Milian posted another awesome interview this week, Melanie Tom: The HR Interview, and another article, Getting Respect as a HR Professional. His second article discusses some of the bad press that HR as a profession has received lately, and advises us to either engage or ignore the writer (who isn't a HR professional).

Victorio also pokes fun about HR being the "dark side;" which made me wonder if we should start offering cookies.
Fifth, Rebecca Fraser-Thill from Career Avoidance 101 talks about the "Top Ten Under 30" lists that are popping up everywhere in her article, Why I Hate "Under 30" Lists. I hate them too, which is why the article caught my eye, and I would like to take this moment to point out that 30 is the new 20 and 40 is the new 30. While it's a great that some people are successful by the age of 30, I agree with Rebecca that these instances should be considered the exception rather than the rule.
Last, but certainly not least, my Facebook friend, Tyree Byndom, reached out to his network on LinkedIn and asked for feedback on his new business's website. The business's focus seems to be primarily on providing consulting and marketing services to women and minority business owners. They also help connect minority and business owners with government agencies that assist women and minority business owners.

To be honest, I've never met the man in real life; I've known him for a couple of years on Facebook, and he is one fantastic man! Oddly enough, I didn't know that he was in HR until after I started college, and he is my go-to guy when it comes to employment law in Missouri. I could go on and on about all of the projects and things he has going on in his life, but I'm going to ask you to check him out on Facebook. Also, if you can convert him over to Google Plus, I'll be eternally grateful.
I know I didn't mention a whole bunch of people who have inspired and supported me. Let me just take a moment to thank you for your support and the inspiration you give me, and keep up the great content!



4 comments :

  1. Charity those are some good choices. I read Larry's articles and they offered some great information.

    Your blog is coming along well, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! This week was an awesome week to read blogs. I'm finding that I have more fun writing when I am able to devote more time to reading and engaging people on social media.

      While I'm not an expert in CSS or HTML, I've figured out enough to start tweaking the look of the blog a bit more (despite the fact that Google changed the look of the blog's HTML).

      Delete
  2. Wow, great round-up this week Charity, and thanks for including me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry, but I can't take all of the credit; I read some really inspiring content this week.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.